This recipe is Low FODMAP, Gluten free, low lactose and vegetarian.
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Serves: 2
- 1/4 cup of Walnuts- roasted until golden
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan Cheese + extra to top
- 1/4 tsp of Salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp of Pepper or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups of Fresh Basil
- Approximately 1/4 cup of Olive Oil
- 250 grams of Brown Rice Pasta- this can be less or more depending on your usual serving size
Start by putting a pot of water on a medium heat and bring to the boil. Then cook pasta as instructed on the packet. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the pesto. To do this chop the toasted walnuts into small pieces, then roughly chop the basil until it is finely shredded. Using a microplane or a fine grater, grate the parmesan. Add the walnuts, parmesan, salt and pepper into a food processor and pulse until well combined. Then add the basil and pulse for 1-2 minutes until a green paste is created. Lastly add the olive oil, do this a tablespoon at a time and pulse between each addition until the mixture loosens slightly and is smooth. You may need slightly more or slightly less depending on your mixture. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and keep the remaining pasta water in a bowl to the side. Add the pesto paste into the drained pasta and then stir gently to combine. Add around two spoonfuls of the starchy pasta water to loosen the pesto. Top with extra parmesan, salt and pepper.